Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Taylor's Tuesday Thoughts

As I sit here watching possibly the worst show I have ever seen, I think about the great day I had today. By the way, the show I'm watching is some sort of Christian show where some idiot talks about how flying in a F-16 fighter jet is a holy experience...what? Apparently bombing people is holy, who knew? That show makes me glad I don't have cable. And that I am not an idiot.

Anyways, this morning the kids were supposed to go around interviewing people and basically documenting them and then leaving. I wasn't ok with that so I went with the adults and we went to the Mosoriot school. I spent the van ride entertaining them with my hilarious jokes. (surprise surprise!) We got to the school and I felt like a celebrity. About 200 kids shook my hand within a minute or so. We met all the teachers and then they wanted us to speak to the children. They assembled them in a central area and we each got up and said one or two things and then they cheered for the visiters. I don't think they even listened at all. As we were leaving the older kids asked about Obama a lot. I forgot to mention that I was at the inauguration. I probably would not have been able to leave the area and I could have potentially been named a hero of the area.

After that we went back to the Sally Test childrens hospital. I continued my search for a place that sells Zebra, I have not had any luck so far. I also want to try Tusker which is a Kenyan b...drink. Its called Tusker because one of the creators was killed byan elephant so the other guy called it Tusker. Anyways, we went to the hospital and while the adults did boring stuff like cleaning, I taught the kids to make paper airplanes. It was a lot of fun. Then I played a game called Let My People Go. Yes, it is a game about Moses and the Israelites escaping from Egypt. I will give you a break so you can try and fathom how stupid of a game that is. It has 100 spaces and most cards move you 2-5 spaces at a time. Its a long and annoying game. Each turn you draw a card and move the amount of spaces it says. Thats it. One card said the pharoah is trying to trick you, but you'll win in the end so move forward however many spaces. How unintelligent of them. Also, every card rhymes. Hopefully the kids like the game, because I would feel like a bad person for playing a bad game that kids don't even like.

We went to lunch at Cool Stream which is a cafe run at the hospital. After that we went into town for a couple of hours. My group was Me, Lindsey, Callie, Anne and Richard. Lindsey and Callie together make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Needless to say, I was entertained. We walked around being tourists looking for things to buy that say "Look, I'm an American tourist." For some reason we failed to do so. The only thing that was purchased was a mango and some mystery fruit. We asked for passion fruit and the guy said ok and pointed to a fruit. It tasted like sour orange. I'm pretty sure that isn't how it is supposed to taste. We spent a lot of time passing places where you could buy b..everages and trying to convince Anne to let us get some. She said no, don't worry. But she could say yes because I am 18 and that is legal...I'm just sayin.
I just finished my dinner of fish, with PLENTY of bone. I didn't choke on any somehow but I ended up just throwing away so I wouldn't die. I think that's enough for today so you'll have to Let My Taylor Go.

2 comments:

The Daddy said...

Tylor...I was part of the group that went to South Africa about 10 years ago now..wow has it been that long already..well one of the best wild meats we had was Worthog..yes its an ugly thing but boy was it good eating..also try and find someplace that sells crocadile too. Both are white meats but really good eating. Hopefully mom (aka Lela Russell is not making you work too hard either)

Eric Russell

Judy in Indiana said...

If there is really something you want to buy, ask Javan, or another local, and they can tell you where you might find it.