Saturday, June 20, 2009

Return of the Taylor

Hey guys, I'm back.  Don't worry, this will be lighthearted again.  I'll leave the serious business to everyone else on the trip
for a while.

This is what happened throughout the rest of yesterday.

In the morning we went to the Imani Workshop. We got to buy a bunch of stuff. I got gifts for a couple people in my family and for
some people who I really wish could have come to Kenya with me. They make some cool stuff there. AFter we bought stuff we all went and took
pictures with the women who made the various things we bought. It was kind of odd to have us all doing that. Especially Lindsey who took a picture
with a woman not because that woman made one of her items. No, that wasn't at all what she did. She wanted a picture because they both had red
bandannas on. Oh Lindsey, what a ridiculous person.

After we left we went to a little shopping strip. It was about 5 little shops that were basically made to scam tourists. So of course we swarmed
on it like teenage girls on babies (Callie DH comes to mind haha). I had already spent 50 dollars on stuff so I wasn't planning on getting anything.
But then I saw that drum. I thought I heard God telling me to buy it, then I realized that it was just the owner of the shop asking me how much I would
pay for it. They told me some ridiculous price so I Said I would think about it. I wandered around and listened to their baby Moses giggle but all the while
I just wanted to be the owner of that drum. Finally Mary Jo came up to me and asked if I would pay a price that was about a third of what it orginally was.
That time I was certain it was God telling me to buy it. It was more likely Moses giggling and being cute but I didn't care. I bought the drum.

The drum is about 2 feet tall, and has 2 sides with which to drum on. It is white and sounds like God would if he were a cowhide drum that I bought for 20 bucks.
I am in love. I have been playing it for the majority of the time since then. I played it while I ate lunch. (By the way, that lunch was DELICIOUS, probably
because of the drum) I haven't named it yet but if you would like to give me suggestions I am open.

After that we went back to the IU house and I played the drum for a few hours. Then we went to Neema House (see my serious post). For dinner we ate Indian
food. Why haven't I had this before? Everything was delightful. Naan is the best bread possible. I dipped it in EVERYTHING. Naan+soda=awesome! (Just kidding
that would probably be gross, maybe. Actually it would probably be good.) Naan is even better than Yats bread. I couldn't even comprehend such a thought
until now.

At the restaurant I noticed a bar. I am at the legal age here. So I asked (for about the millionth time!) if I could get a Tusker to taste. Anne said no
before I even asked the question. She gave me look that would make Christine Rembert jealous. It was a look that would make David RJ stop dancing for like 5 minutes
(what? that's crazy!) It's that look that every youth leader who works with me has to learn. So I finally gave up trying, because I mostly do it to see Anne's reaction.
After that, Caroline, who is also the legal age, showed me where the restroom was. The restroom happens to be near the bar. Apparently the adults freaked out thinking
that we were going to get a drink. Mary Jo's reason for freaking out is because "If I can't have a glass of wine, they can't have a beer!"

So anyways, that completes my Wednesday.

No comments: