Monday, June 1, 2009

Anticipations, Expectations & Excitement!

A few thoughts from some of the youth as they prepare to leave in 9 days...
  • I am looking forward to meeting new people, eating new food, and being in a new place. I am nervous about a language or culture barrier that I don't yet know about. You can only learn so much from books. - Spencer
  • I am looking forward to helping as many people as possible while we are there. Of course I'm looking forward to trying new foods. I am nervous about being off of the continent since I never have before. - Taylor
  • I am looking forward to experiencing a new culture, meeting new people (especially the little children in the pediatric hospital), leaving America for a while and seeing African wildlife (zebras!). I'm nervous about communicating and seeing extreme disease up close. - Lydia
  • I am looking forward to building on old relationships and creating new friendships. I am also excited to meet and play with adorable children and our safari trip. I am nervous about the out houses. - Caroline
  • I am excited to be in a new place and experience and explore things outside of my tiny little world. I am most looking forward to learning from and becoming friends with the students in Kenya, especially those close to my age. The only things I'm nervous about are the 30-hour flight and the lack of western toilets. - Callie
  • I am so ready to go to Kenya. I have been talking and hearing about going for so long and it is finally here! I'm very excited to meet all the diverse people and learn more about their culture. I am not excited to see the poverty in Kenya with the children and adults. - Leah
  • I am especially looking forward to spending time with an unfamiliar culture. It is scary to be an ocean away from my family and many of my friends, but I am excited about the group that I am traveling with. I know that we will have some life-changing experiences that make us grow closer together! - Emily
  • I've always loved to travel, so naturally I am extremely excited to be going to Kenya. First, I can't wait to see the different geography and the cultures. I can't wait to travel and share these experiences with my friends, who truly are my North Church family, so it will be a wonderful bonding experience too. I'm excited to bring my camera and capture this part of the world through my lens, and share it with others when i come back. I think I am ready to see the world as it is outside of America, and I can not wait to see how it changes my life for the better. - Lindsey
  • It is finally here! It seems like we've been planning this forever and its only days away now! Although I've never even been out of the country and there are so many things to be nervous about, I'm still super excited...playing with the children, getting to go on a safari, and spending time with friends...I can't wait! - Allison

No comments: